Thursday, November 17, 2011

Village Squire Restaurant


The Village Squire Restaurant
Blakeslee, PA


☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 4/5 stars

When entering the Village Squire, don't be fooled by the dingy, dated atmosphere - the food is quite good.

While the menu hosts many traditional meals, the specials prove that the chefs' expertise is a bit more refined than one might think. As a meat-and-potatoes person, I typically go for a steak however, one mark against the Squire is their filet. If you go petit, you might as well order two, as you DO NOT get your money's worth. Instead, try a sirloin - their meat is tender and well seasoned.

While I dine here frequently as it is local and inexpensive (I eat here over the Blakeslee Inn when craving a hearty meal) - the success, or lack there of, of the Squire in drawing a bigger crowd is their limitation to push the envelope a bit more as a pub. I could imagine doing my Sunday football outings here due to it's woodsy, boy's club feel HOWEVER, they need to put some large flatscreen TVs in there - the one small TV limits their appeal to pub-goers.

My other issue with the Squire is the limited wine selections. You can basically choose red or white - don't bother asking for a brand, they don't have choices. As a wine enthusiast, I tend to enjoy a nice glass of chardonnay or pinot grigio with my dinner unfortunately, if I order a glass of white wine, I end up with a low-grade, unnamed brand. The beer selection is adequate but, they do have some good label vodka.

All in all, I gave this place 4 stars because of the value and quality of the entrees.

No comments:

Post a Comment