Monday, September 19, 2011

Finally, good sushi nearby!


Mirakuya Japanese Restaurant
695 Kidder Street, Wilkes-Barre, PA
☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ 4 stars/5

Having lived in basically every state in the Mid-Atlantic prior to moving to the Poconos, I took for granted the availability of good sushi and great pizza. Since I moved here, I have been on the hunt for both and finally I have found some tasty sushi (and hibachi) at Mirakuya Japanese Restaurant.

From the highway, it doesn't look like much - being nestled in a shopping plaza usually isn't a great sign. But, the inside was clean, the wait to sit non-existant (on a busy Friday evening) and the service was prompt. I sat in a booth (rather than hibachi) though the relentless "Ole, Ole, Ole" of the Hibachi chef was probably the one annoyance of the evening...Either he was a huge Montreal Canadiens fan or he didn't know any other phrases in English.

Either way, the food was surprisingly good. I had the pepper tuna appetizer which was a nice-sized portion and the quality of the tuna was Good (not great, but good) and the spicy sauce was right on point.

I am an adventurous orderer when getting sushi so I had a "special" roll - the Volcano roll which was a mixture of shrimp tempure and spicy tuna. I also ordered my favorite roll, a Dragon roll - not for the amateur sushi eater as it is an eel-based roll.

The Volcano roll was EXTREMELY good - the size, quality and texture were all what you would expect from a good sushi joint in more populous areas but the Dragon roll wasn't as successful, the texture was a bit off and the roll itself was kind of flimsy.

All in all, if you are vacationing here and have a hankering for sushi, take the 30+ minute venture out to Wilkes-Barre to Mirakuya.

View the menu

No comments:

Post a Comment