Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Tips for restaurants in NEPA

I hate to be the nag here but as a resident of a NEPA area that is sparse with food options, and abundant with visitors from other states, I have to do it.

NASCAR was here last weekend and by here I mean within 10 miles of where I live in PA. Food stores and liquor stores were filled with visitors - a great thing for the economy. But, what about restaurants?

If there is one thing every business should know (restaurant or not), it's that people are lazy and device-driven. As a visitor seeking dining options you probably want to turn your phone on, use a search service to find nearby dining - and end up on a site that is easy to navigate.

I am not going to tell restaurants to go out and spend money to have a website that is phone-friendly (the click to call option is great). But, if you have no website at all and/or no readily available menu - what do you expect?

For instance, this new place Lucky Luciano's on Route 940 in Pocono Lake (where Edelweiss used to be). They were in a rush to be open in time for the Pocono 400 - like most businesses they had a "NASCAR fans welcome" banner outside. But - how the heck are you supposed to get food from there?

My partner and I were in a lazy mood and pined for some italian take out. We thought we would try Lucky Luciano's. Go ahead and try to search for them on the internet.

Not only do they NOT have a website, but they don't even have a phone number listed anywhere. I did find a phone number listed with their "now hiring waitstaff" ad on Craigslist. I had to end up on a non-food driven website to find a number that most likely belonged to a manager.

No one answered. You mean to tell me, you want business? New customers? First, you need to give them an easy way to reach you. Otherwise, you WILL fail. I promise.

We ended up getting groceries and making out own Italian food and, in my mind I am certain that a business that doesn't even have a way to contact them can't possibly make better food than I do. That's what I have come to.

Also, reviews are important. In fact, when trying a new place for the first time, I always try to see what others say.

Inform your waitstaff, hostess, etc - all customers are important. The way you treat them is almost as important as the quality of food. People remember how they felt when they ate at your place. If they felt neglected, the food just doesn't taste as good.

All in all - don't even bother opening a restaurant without an easy way for potential customers to get ahold of you. Your product means nothing if no one can try it.

Once you are up, make it easy for any person on any device to find you and contact you.

No comments:

Post a Comment