Friday, January 6, 2012

Robert Christian's - Pocono Lake, PA


Robert Christian's
Route 940
Pocono Lake, PA

☆ ☆ 2/5 stars

I guess the best way to begin this review is to share the convo that was had between my partner and I after we ate. This convo, in short, was about how if a restaurant wants to charge semi-high prices, their decor should match. It also included, a shared desire for a real, fine dining restaurant to exist in it's place. Because, to be fair, Robert Christian's gets pretty busy - and I have no idea why.

Many restaurants in the Poconos have a rustic feel to their interior - wood paneling, etc. This one had those things but while dining (In August) their mantel still had Christmas decorations on it and their table clothes were nothing short than dollar store picnic tarps. Rather than rustic, it felt dingy and cheap.

The menu, however, was not cheap. Though it wasn't Blakeslee Inn pricey, it was overpriced. The quality of food and pedigree of the chefs who made the dishes were underwhelming. The star of the show was the RC House Salad - I do not know what is in their dressing (and our waitress didn't share) but it had a very unique flavor that I have yet to experience anywhere else.

As per usual, the wine menu disappointed - It was obvious from when we first entered, this would be the case as their wine rack was filled with Sutter Home. Come on restaurants, I drank Sutter Home in college BECAUSE it's cheap!

Same rant, different restaurant. Anyway, the main courses were okay. I had the Chicken Marsala - a pretty common dish. Their version of this included a slim amount of bad quality chicken and a bland sauce. My partner had the Chicken ranch wrap from the lite fare menu and was more dissapointed with the flavor than I was with my dish.

All in all, it was not memorable. I gave Robert Christian's two stars because the experience included: bland food, a dingy atmosphere and prices that were a bit too high for the quality of food.

If you are still interested, here is the menu

No comments:

Post a Comment